Sunday, September 11, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK

I have a friend who likes Malbec.  This same friend's son spent some time in Patagonia, which is the southernmost part of South America.  I'm rather fond of Malbec myself, so it is serendipitous when I come across a Patagonian Malbec for $18.

Bodega del Fin del Mundo Reserva 2013 Malbec is aged in French and American oak barrels for ten to twelve months, but it doesn't have that overpowering oaked aftertaste.  The process softens the tannins, and the result is a smooth combination of fruit and earth.  The wine is textured but not complex because it hits the palate with its own character and personality all while sustaining flavor and consistency.  Previous Reserva Malbecs have won wine awards from Argentina to France.

In other words, you don't have to take my word for it.

But, should you want to, this wine is one of the pricier ones I'll recommend.  Under $20 but more than I usually spend on myself, it's still reasonably priced as a gift to bring to share with my friend in honor of Patagonia and Malbec and life in general.