Tuesday, September 27, 2016

A DOO-EY OF A DAY

I am having a shitty day, absolutely shitty, shitty day at work.  I am (if I had them and sometimes believe that I do) balls-to-the-wall busy, and I don't get out of there until I've done exactly nine and a half straight hours with two breaks: eighteen minutes to eat lunch and go to the bathroom, and a one minute pee break before an afternoon meeting.

Basically, I am having a doo-doo pile of a day.  I mean, it's not horrible or anything like that; I'm not on the verge of being fired, or, at least, I hope not.  I'm just busy and tired and backlogged and now I'm hungry.  So hungry.

I am trying to get home, debating going to the store (I don't) or maybe ordering take-out (I don't).  The only good thing about today's late schedule is that I can take the direct route home past the elementary school because it is long-past bus pick-up time. 

Yes, I decide to head straight home, which is where I hope to be until a truck pulls in front of me.  He is turning at the light, same as am I, and he takes so long to get through the maneuver that I almost miss the light, and I'm the second vehicle in line behind him.

And then ... I look up and take notice.  "A. Duie Pyle."  Perfect.  No, truly.  I am having a doo-ey pile of a day myself.  Suddenly, I feel a lot better, and I smile, I grin, and I chuckle a little bit. 

I follow the truck all the way to my street, kind of sad when we part ways.  Here's to you, A. Duie Pyle.  I don't know who you are nor what you've got inside your container, but I can attest that just your name and presence is a mood changer. 

Not only does my day seem a lot better right now -- slightly ironic, but definitely better -- but I am home.  Foraging through the freezer, I find dinner (honey BBQ wings and french fries), so all is right with the world.