Sunday, September 25, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK - RIOJA

What a great wine weekend!  Two tastings and a grand tasting!  Woohoo!  I behave myself and pour a lot of the wine into the buckets rather than employ my New England Yankee attitude of "nothing gets wasted," and that includes me.

This concept of keeping myself relatively sober at a grand tasting means that I could easily recommend a dozen wines for Wine of the Week.  I could even nominate a label of the week, that's how great a wine weekend it is.

Alas, though, I must narrow my choices down, and this decision turns out to be relatively easy.  You see, there's a wine I've been dying to try, but there's no way I'm paying the price if I am only going to end up cooking with it.  The bottle grabbed my attention months ago - dark, ornate label, covered with interlaced metallic wire trim.  Plus, it's a Spanish Rioja, one of my favorite reds.  (Okay, most reds are my favorite, so this is a moot point.)

Some Riojas are lighter, and fall into the typical red category.  This one, though, is bolder, darker, more robust in the glass.  It's fruity and smoky all at the same time -- earthy, spicy, woody.  The tannins aren't offensive, and the finish lingers without overstaying.

At $18 a bottle, this is one of those wines that makes a great gift or should be served with a special meal because of its rich flavor and impressive bottle presentation.  My suggestion for Wine of the Week:  Campo Viejo Rioja Gran Reserva 2010.