Wednesday, September 7, 2016

STILL GRILLING SEASON

The students arrive Wednesday.  Tuesday I sit in meetings all day long.  I sit in so many meetings that my ass actually falls asleep more often than Bill Clinton during a Hillary Clinton speech.  Somewhere mid-superintendent spiel, my lower back seizes up and I squirm uncontrollably in my seat.  And this is only the first two and a half hours.  I still have three more meetings and four more hours to go.

I cannot even stay late to get organized.  I'll have to get organized at home because I must get to the grocery store and have dinner ready before my kiddo/fellow boarder has to leave for lacrosse.  At the store I buy some 93% fat-free hamburg and some steak tips.  I'm dying for red meat.

I decide we need a cook-out.  I mean, the students will arrive in the morning, so this truly is the Last Hurrah of Summer.  I don't care that it's 67 degrees out.  I don't care that it's drizzling.  We are having a cook-out, damnit.

I make the patties (a little over 1/3 pound each), season them, and toss those fat boys onto the flaming hot grill.  As long as I keep the top closed, they won't get wet from the rain.  I might get soaked, but they won't, and that's the important part.  By the time my kiddo arrives home, smoky grill aroma is permeating the neighborhood.

Take THAT, neighbors!  Hahahahaha.  Rain won't stop us.  We are GRILLING!

Not going to lie.  The burgers are perfect.  Amazing.  My son thinks so, too, because he scarfs down two cheeseburgers in the time it takes me to finish my hamburger.  Nope, rain isn't going to stop us from having one more barbecue before my social life is completely over.  Starting Wednesday, though, I'll be so tired by 3:00 p.m. that I'll be lucky to make it home without napping at my desk first. 

Sounds like macaroni and cheese dinners are in my future.  But, wait.  I do have those steak tips, and ... it still is grilling season.