Sunday, September 18, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK: TREBBIANO ABBRUZZO

This week's wine comes from Italy (no big shocker).

Harvested in mid to late September (timely, I'd say), I find myself sipping the 2014 vintage made up of 100% trebbiano d'abbruzzo, a high-yielding white wine grape.  I'm partial to trebbiano, so I have high hopes for the wine.

I am not disappointed.

This extremely drinkable wine is fine by itself, but it also pairs well with cheese, fish, and lighter pasta dishes (like primavera).  It's fruity but not sweet, just incredibly easy on the palate.  It blends notes of apples and pears with a slight hint of floral.

This wine lingers without offending.  It's long without overstaying its welcome.  It's a beautiful golden color with a hint of pale green and is a wine that is tasty and visually appealing.  It's perfect for an early evening dinner on the patio with the sun glinting off the glass -- wine the color of sunshine.  It makes a perfect gift, as well.  (Pick me!)

Best of all, this wine is under $10 a bottle.

Wine of the week for this week:  Eredi Legonziano Vineyard's Trebbiano Abbruzzo doc Cocciatosta, 2014.