Monday, February 16, 2015

WICKED TUNA RETURNS



Most of the reality TV I watch consists of random HGTV shows.  I’ll watch Property Brothers and Love It or List It if nothing else is on.  I’ll go out of my way to watch Income Property, but I’m not a fan of the rehabbers or the flippers. 

I’ll also watch Project Runway, but only if I remember and if I have the attention span for it.  I have long since given up any of the Real Housewives, though I did enjoy watching the faux NYC countess make an ass out of her stupid lowlife self over and over again every week, at least for a season or two.  I don’t even know if any of the Real Housewives series still exist.

Sometimes I’ll tune in to the Military Channel or watch the shows about guns or about cars being chopped into better cars, and I watched the show about people jousting, though I think it probably only lasted a season.  I guess watching people get gored, lacerated, trampled, broken, then stitched up and sent back into play only works on the Discovery Health channel.

I am, however, a true devotee of the local sensation, Gloucester-based Wicked Tuna. 

First of all, for anyone who watches the show, yes, we really do talk like that.  Yup.  Not all of us and not all the time.  I’m a Masshole who had a few transplant experiences in New Hampshire, where we pronounced all of the letters in the alphabet.  I will admit that my Boston accent only comes out when I’m at a major sporting event, a major drinking event, or when I’m wicked pissed (translation: very angry) about something that is probably ridiculously stupid and unimportant.  You know, like politics.

I don’t have a favorite captain nor a favorite boat on the show Wicked Tuna.  Paul used to drive me nuts (does he ever shut up?!), but he has grown on me, especially when he partnered with crazy-ass Tyler in Wicked Tuna: North vs. South.  And I am a Tyler fan, even though I know he’s the dark horse favorite, the one fans love to hate, who seems to defy the odds and makes a decent showing (winning) for himself and his boat, or he sucks so bad you feel sorry for him.  Getting back to Paul, I’m loving that he has his own boat to captain now, especially when he’s all up in Dave C.’s grill.

And speaking of Dave C., he is a bit too intense.  He needs to smile a bit more, maybe have some fun, smoke some pot or something.  Dave M., on the other hand, is probably the least intense of the bunch.  He is full of wisdom, but he is the unluckiest guy out there.  He is like the Schleprock of the bunch, or maybe he’s the Ancient Mariner.  Either way, it’s either a black cloud of doom or the albatross around his neck, but he has to find a way to shake that shit off.

TJ would be a lot more likeable if he spent more time fishing and less time talking smack.  The more he badmouths The Kid (Tyler), the more I root for the NH boat Pin Wheel and the more I curse TJ and Hot Tuna.  He’s a good fisherman, but he’s kind of a dink sometimes.  Maybe the editing makes him that way and all of his goodness is left on the cutting room floor.  I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he still irritates the hell out of me when he’s onscreen.

I don’t know shit about the two Bills.  They’re newer, and, if memory serves me, one of them likes to stand on the plank like Captain Hook and spear fish with harpoons from above, aided by an airplane fish spotter.  Have to admit, it might be brilliant if they all used air-based spotters.  Why this pilot doesn’t sell his info for big bucks is beyond my realm of expertise.  The other Bill is kind of a hapless Charlie Brown, and I haven’t had much chance to root for the poor guy.  Who knows?  Maybe this season his luck and my lack of concern will both change.

Either way, my reality TV fix returns Sunday night, and by Monday I’ll be in Wicked Tuna heaven because the local boys are back.