Saturday, February 14, 2015

SLIM CHANCE OF REPRIEVE



More snow coming.  Wind chills near -30 expected.  Stores cleared out of ice melt, shovels, sand, snowblowers, ice choppers, and roof rakes.  Grocery store shelves resemble this past summer when Market Basket went on strike: Empty with a slim chance of reprieve.

I admit that although I am a hardy New Englander, even I am getting disgusted.  There’s just no damn place left to put any of this snow.  Bitter cold is making my skin feel like sandpaper, and my toes and heels and fingers are cracking and splitting and screaming.

At school, the drifts are up to the windows and beyond.  Today the modular classrooms start shaking and wailing like they’re experiencing a decent northeast earthquake, shaking and bucking and roaring as if even the ground is tired of carrying all the extra weight of snow and semi-permafrost.  Someone claimed it is the heating system at fault, but we know better.  The ground has given up.

All of us -- earth, buildings, humans – we’re all starting to crack.  We are cracking mentally, physically, geographically.  How in the hell do people live like this?  How do residents of the Arctic Circle even begin to function?  Why aren’t the people of Siberia insane?

Beautiful?  Yes.  Record-shattering?  Probably.  Tolerable?  Not by any fucking stretch of the imagination. 

I’m tired of thinking about this winter, talking about, writing about it.  I’m equally certain you’re tired of hearing about this winter and reading about it.

So, please.  Save us.  Just save us already.  Send the sun, the heat, the sled dogs, the Saint Bernards with mini-barrels of grain alcohol, the National Guard.  Send food, basic supplies, ice melt, and toilet paper. 

But, please, for the love of god, will someone turn this winter back to a normal setting?  I swear on my last shred of dignity and resolve: I am beyond disgusted already.