Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SPRING LACROSSE IS HERE

Despite the snowy weather and the ridiculously low, raw temperatures, spring is here. No, not spring by Mother Nature's standards; spring by the college sports season standards.

Lacrosse season officially starts today.  Okay, it has officially started across the board already, but for my son's team, today is The Day.

I have a long list of things I need to pack for the trip across the state, out to where supposedly it is not snowing.  That would be super, almost like going to Florida except about 70 degrees colder.  In addition to packing up my stuff (camera, extra socks, heat packets for my hands and feet...), there's baking to be done.

Since we will not be on our home turf, I don't need to make stew or salad or entree.  This is a dessert only event, so I bake a bunch of chocolate chip cookies -- about five and a half dozen cookies.  I pack them in small snack-sized baggies, three cookies per bag, so the players can huck the bags around the bus and not make a mess everywhere (or at least that is my intent).

The cookies and I will be on the road this afternoon, fighting traffic and toll booths to get where we need to be and to get there on time.  The last thing I need is to be stuck in my car in the middle of nowhere with five and a half dozen freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies, in which case I will really BE "stuck" in my car.

Good luck, boys.  Spring is here.