Saturday, February 21, 2015

SNOWSHOEING AND OTHER TALES OF GLORY



My phone makes that weird noise that indicates I have a new text.  I sigh audibly because sometimes my text messages are annoying.  Sometimes they’re from my phone provider reminding me that they’ll be taking out my monthly payment via auto-debit, as if after years and years of having the same provider, I don’t already know this information.  Sometimes it’s a text warning me of something important – Amber alert, a roadblock or an accident fifty miles south of here, weather notices of impending doom and gloom.

This new text is a doozie:  Do you want to go snowshoeing?

With three feet of snow already on the ground and flurries due over the next few days (not to mention another storm for the weekend), snowshoeing sounds like fun, but I don’t know for sure.  You see, I’ve never tried snowshoeing before.

I figure snowshoeing probably requires the same outfit shoveling in three feet of snow does: boots, heavy socks, snow pants, jacket, fleece, scarf, hat, and gloves.  When I arrive at my friend’s house, we decide to run a couple of errands and stop for lunch before going out in the snow.  This way we can drag our other friend (her next door neighbor) out with us.  My friends both live on the west side of town, and their property abuts some public-owned walking trails.  If we cut through the woods, there’s a big field we can snowshoe around. 

I am no stranger to bombing through the woods in too-deep snow.  I grew up pulling stunts like this with my sister and pals through the acres of woods surrounding our house in New Hampshire.  We’d never heard of cross country skis or recreational snowshoes, so we would strap on our downhill skis and cut our own paths through trees, boulders, and over wood piles.  Our favorite path was straight down the front walk, across the part of the driveway we never shoveled in winter, and right into the low branches of the summer bike trails we cut through the woods.  I didn’t hit a real ski hill (with groomed trails and mechanical tows) until I had well-mastered the art of kamikaze downhill forest skiing.  How we managed to get through our formative years without ever breaking bones is still an unsolved mystery of epic proportions.

Friend #1 and I strap on our snowshoes (I am borrowing an old pair of her son’s) and examine the mounds of snow we need to scale just to get to the yard to head to the trails.  There is a skinny cut-through about one leg-width wide, so we try that.  My friend plants one snowshoe and her two poles, expertly rolls against the snowbank, hauls her other foot up and over, and makes it to the other side.  I, the novice, take two steps on the snowshoes, get myself into the small path, and somehow manage to wedge my fat ass into the crevice we are using to start our journey.

After laughing way too hard, I finally manage to unwedge my fat ass and we trudge through the thick powder to Friend #2’s yard next door.  The snow is so deep that we barely notice when we cross the stone wall except that our ski poles sink in about four feet, disappearing into the snow up to our wrists.  After gathering up our pal, the three of us head to the tree line.  We can see the snowy field a few hundred yards away.  We have to cross another stone wall, a stream bed, and get through the pricker bushes first, though.

This is where all the years disappear, and I’m like a kid again.  I know how to get through the overgrowth and the sharp dangers of the woods in the snowy winter.  I’ve done this before.  I was an expert backwoods downhill skier through conditions just like this.  My friends check on me to make sure I’m okay and keeping up.  No problems, I assure them.  To me, this is like reliving my childhood except that I’m not trying to whack my sister in the face with errant branches as we bomb through.

When we get out to the field, someone, probably a cross-country skier, has beaten down a decent path for us to follow.  We make a couple of circuits, stop for pictures, laugh way too hard, and drag our spent butts back through the woods and back to the pristine, untrodden deep snow of my two friends’ yards.  Friend #1 and I see Friend #2 safely to her back door, re-cross the stone wall separating the properties, then we spend some time tamping down a snow trail for the oil delivery company.  This is not without its comedy as my friend somehow barrelrolls over a snowbank near her walkway, and I again get myself wedged into a sitting position trying to get down from the oil-man path.  I stupidly have my coat unzipped at this point, and I now have snow up my back and down my snow pants.

Ninety minutes after I strap the snowshoes on, I sit on the front step and disengage the mechanisms that hold the boots in place.  I am snowy, sweaty, spent, and my stomach aches from laughing.  My phone makes that noise again, indicating that I have a text message.  It is another friend asking me if I’m doing anything fun.  If only my fingers weren’t starting to get chilly and I could type faster, I could text the entire tale.  Just like the original text invitation, the end result is similar: It’s a doozie … and I can’t wait to do it again.  Hmmmm…. I wonder if my sister wants to go bombing through the woods at her house in Maine?  I’m pretty sure she has snowshoes, too, and I promise that this time I really will hold the branches back for her.