Monday, February 9, 2015

GRILL SCAVENGER HUNT



I go on a scavenger hunt today.  I go searching for my grill. 

I’ve no intention of actually using my grill, at least not today, but I am sort of worried about it underneath all that snow.  There’s about three feet (give or take an inch or two) resting on top of it, and the snow pile is so severe that I’m not even certain where the grill is anymore.  I’ve got a general notion where it was when I left it in the fall, but now … it’s a crapshoot.

I start digging where I think it is, where I think I left it.  I know it’s near the front stoop.  The trash cans are buried to the right, the recycle bin is somewhere near the middle, and the grill is to the left a little bit.  I mean, I think it’s to the left.  I can still see the very top of the fence, the same fence I have been dumping snow over into my neighbor’s yard, so I at least have that vantage point; I know for sure that my grill is on my side of the fence.

A few minutes into the digging process, I realize that I’m going to have to shovel some more snow off the stoop.  I have steps on either side of the landing, and I have only shoveled the steps leading to the walkway and out to the driveway.  I’m going to have to unbury some of the steps leading to the patio itself because the snow is too deep and unsteady for me to shore myself up to shovel the spot where I believe I will find my prize.

The next issue is a repeat of the issue that’s plaguing everyone: where to put the snow as I dig out.  I start shoveling snow further onto the patio, but it quickly becomes an impossible task as the snowbank is as tall as I am once I dig out the steps.  I pop back up to the landing and start chipping away at the packed snow, shoveling it (where else?) over the fence and into my neighbor’s yard.  I have to be very careful not to throw with too much force lest I hit the house and alert the homeowner as to my evil snow removal technique.

Suddenly, a smidgen of color appears.  I can see a small section of the now-ripped tablecloth I threw over the grill when winter first started … you know, just in case it might snow a little.  Score!  I know where to dig!  It’s like finding a survivor in an avalanche.  Suddenly I am consumed by the urge to dig that sucker out as fast and efficiently as I can without damaging anything.  It is, after all, a nearly-brand-spanking new grill. 

Finally, my grill emerges from the white cocoon that had surrounded it.  I grab a large trash bag and try to re-cover it the best I can since much of the current cover is shredding as a result of the extreme cold and the weighty snow.  Now, if the power should go out and I need to grill anything, I can.

Except I’m not sure how much propane is left in the small canister, and the other canister is outside because it dropped on my tile kitchen floor and dented, and I was afraid it was going to burst and explode everywhere, so I put it out in a recycle bin that is now sitting under about five feet of snow somewhere slightly to the right of the grill.

At this point, I give up.  I can see the grill, and, right now anyway, that’s all that matters.  I secure the plastic on the grill, smile at my handiwork, stomp the snow off my boots, and call it a day.