Saturday, February 7, 2015

FORMER NEWSPAPER JUNKIE



I used to be a newspaper junkie. 

This obsession started long before I dabbled in journalism, a career choice that ended when I discovered managers at McDonalds made more than reporters and had much better hours and working conditions.  I used to read three newspapers a day: Boston Globe, Boston Herald, and Eagle-Tribune.  Sometimes I would throw in USA Today or Wall Street Journal or, if I were feeling particularly eclectic, Boston Phoenix.

I read several papers not just for the news but for the editorial bending of each.  Boston Globe is the liberal Democrat, while Boston Herald is its political polar opposite.  Eagle-Tribune is a regional Republican rag, and Boston Phoenix is the crazy-ass newsprint cousin no one wants to admit to reading (though anyone touching it not only reads it but probably writes nasty commentary in the margins).  I used to like reading all of these because the skews of the “impartial” articles would often leave me in stitches.

I am not a newspaper junkie anymore.  Whenever I buy the papers now, which happens with ridiculous infrequency, it is to skim over the articles and go directly to the puzzles. The puzzles are letting me down.  The print is so small that even my best glasses are ineffective. 

I get my news from television and the Internet now.  It’s not the same.  With the TV I am held captive to whatever story they want to report (and repeat), whereas with the newspaper, I can skim past things that don’t interest me.  It’s kind of a shame that the news broadcasts don’t have comics or funnies, too.  That certainly would break up the constant flow of miserable news, especially on the weekends.  I kind of miss the Sunday funnies in that regard.

For a while, my newspapers streamed online, as well, but now they charge a fee.  If I’m not going to pay the highway robbery prices of their daily print editions, I’m certainly not going to pay the skyrocketing prices of their online versions (which never carry the entire stories like the ones continued many pages and sections away from the original stories in the hard copies).

I guess I am responsible for the demise of journalism as we once knew it.  The failure of journalism doesn’t fall on underpaid workers or undereducated writers or greedy corporations trying to charge three dollars a day for ten cents’ worth of newsprint.  It’s my fault for giving up my addiction to the news, for deciding that living in the world beats reading about it and solving cryptograms of other people’s wise thoughts.

Guilty as charged.  Maybe you’ll see my name in the news-police blotter.  I won’t, though.  I gave up newspapers.