Thursday, March 22, 2018

SNOW? I DON'T GIVE A DAMN.

This is like living in a horror movie.  All of the shades are drawn, the outside lights are blazing, and both of my doors are locked tight.  I even locked the door to the basement, just in case.  I sneak peeks out the window, carefully parting the louvers to check.  Any moment ... anytime at all ... that white monster is going to grab me by the eyeballs and show me what it's got!

Nope.  Not yet.  Nothing to see here.  No snow.

We are awaiting our fourth Nor'easter in three weeks.  When I left work yesterday, it was a warm and sunny 44 degrees.  Today when I leave work, it still seems mild, and the air is timid.  I make a quick stop at CVS for shampoo because I didn't realize until earlier that only a dollop is left.

By the time I get home from CVS (a quarter of a mile later), the weather is starting to turn.  The wind is picking up slightly, the temperature has dropped from 36 degrees to about 33, and the air has a distinct tinge of snow-smell in it.  (Yes, New Englanders learn to smell snow before we learn to walk.)  I turn on the news, and the weather people claim the storm really is coming.

I have some doubts, though.  This storm has already dropped a foot of snow in the DC area, and it is pummeling parts of Pennsylvania and Connecticut.  Maybe it will lose its punch by the time it gets here.  There is a sharp front line, too, perhaps preventing the worst of it from hitting this far north.

Just the same, I park my car all the way at the street end of the driveway.  If it does snow and I have to work tomorrow, my intention is to bomb right through that white shit and leave it behind until later.  I'll call it "Tara Snow" -- I'll think about that tomorrow ... at Tara Snow ...  Rhett Butler and I will shovel Missy Scarlet out.

Okay, so the Nor'easter has gone from being a low budget horror movie to being a David O. Selznik blockbuster.

Oh, hell, what do I care?  It may be Spring, but it still snows here.  Get over it.  I have shovels in the house and a shovel in the car.  I have extra gloves and a hat and boots in my backpack for when I get out of work (in case the storm has super-bad timing).  I'm ready, and, like most Nor'easters, before I realize, it will be gone with the wind.

Shovel; don't shovel; snow; don't snow... Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.