Friday, March 16, 2018

I'VE FALLEN, BUT I MANAGE TO GET UP

I don't know how I manage to pull this one off.  Perhaps it is because I am incredibly graceful, or maybe I'm super coordinated.  Maybe it's just because I'm lucky. Today I take a reasonably long trip, and it's all free and over in a second or two.

Today I trip and fall down the stairs.  Not all of the stairs; just the bottom half.

I have extremely dry skin, and it was always the joke when I played judo because I'd have to put lotion on my feet before stepping onto the mat.  If I didn't, I'd slip all over the place like I was wearing ice skates.  Today this comes back to haunt me as my super-slippery, extremely dehydrated feet slip completely off the stairs as I am racing down them at a bleary hour of the morning.  All of a sudden I am careening down the stairs in midair.

This is where my judo training should kick in.  A well-trained judoka knows damn well the LAST thing you put down during a fall is your arm, especially your dominant arm.  However, it has been a long time (over ten years) since I've been on the mat.  I had major foot surgery (resulting from a very old soccer injury) and will never be able to risk having my foot caught in a sweep ever again. After all this time away, I don't react like someone with training in how to fall safely; I react like a middle-aged woman in the middle of a prat-fall gone freakishly wrong.

So, the arm goes out, my dominant arm, flailing madly into space and banging uselessly off riser after riser as I ping off stair after stair.  I twist my wrist, whack my elbow multiple times, and pop my shoulder out of the socket.  The most amazing and humiliating part of it all is that the arm I am swinging around?  NOT the arm on the side with the handrail.

Seriously.  Shouldn't my FIRST line of defense be the HANDRAIL?!

Speaking of firsts, this is not the first time I have popped my right shoulder out, and it's only partially out, not completely out.  Anyone who has ever popped a shoulder knows exactly what I'm going to say next:  I pop my shoulder back into place using my opposite hand and the edge of a wall.  It sounds horrible and somewhat masochistic, but the pain of a semi-popped shoulder far outweighs the momentary horror of putting it back the way it belongs, and this is not my first ride on the "repair it yourself" rodeo.

I admit, though, that I will be holding that handrail EVERY time I'm on the stairs now.  I'm old, folks.  I'm damn lucky I didn't break a hip and end up wailing, "I've fallen, and I can't get up!"