Saturday, March 24, 2018

NO ICE FOR THE ICED COFFEE

Weekday mornings are often quiet but focused.  I give myself enough time to edit and post the blog, get ready for work, and pack a lunch.  Most mornings I also make a small iced caramel machiatto coffee.  I leave early, and get to work with about forty minutes to set up, get organized, and iron out any last minute kinks.

This routine serves me well, and I still haven't managed yet to give myself an extra push on weekly trash day, so I often run late by a few minutes once a week almost as if this is routine, as well. 

This week when trash day arrives, I am doing my usual last minute song and dance and running a few minutes late as I tie up the outgoing bag then take a minute or two to re-bag the garbage can in the kitchen.  I prep my coffee -- a little sugar, the coffee, the creamer -- and head to the freezer for ice. 

This is when I discover that the ice bin is nearly empty.  I empty the bin into my iced coffee and place the container back into the freezer.  AHA!  Maybe someone else who lives in or passes through my house during the day will discover the "no ice" situation and empty a few trays for me. 

The next morning I prep to leave for work.  I am actually right on time as it is not trash day today and I prepped my lunch the evening prior.  If I play my cards just right, I might even get out of the house early.  I mix up the coffee and sugar and creamer, open the freezer, and I find...

Damnation.  The ice cube bin is empty.  Caught by my own nasty ploy.

I dump (then refill with water) two ice cube trays, grab what I need, twist the cover on to my travel mug, and check the clock.  Oh, well.  Might as well be trash day.  It's okay -- I've got my coffee and I've got time.