Thursday, March 15, 2018

AROMATIC AND PRODUCTIVE SUCCESS

When it snows for what feels like days and days (more like 20 hours), a multitude of possibilities arise for passing the time. 

I could read (did that for a little while), I could write (did that for a little while), I could putter around the house (did that for a little while), I could clean (only if sweeping and washing dishes count), I could do some work (guilty), or I could shovel -- but it's snowing like mad outside and will be for hours more.

So, I tempt fate and start cooking.  When I say that I am tempting fate by cooking, I'm not referring to my semi-limited culinary skills.  I am referring to the very real possibility that my house will lose electricity.  This is especially exciting since the power has blinked several times when I decide to hit the kitchen.

Living dangerously, I start by making a huge omelet in the electric skillet.  I add American cheese, cheddar jack cheese, and some Asiago cheese, then I split it 30-70% with my youngest, who is working from home today.  I wait a few hours, run the dishwasher, then tempt fate a little more and make a batch of chocolate chip cookies (Toll House, as if there's any other recipe that's worthy). 

About this time it feels like a little sauvignon blanc is in order.  White wine goes with cookies, right?  It certainly goes with snow. 

I cap off my day of cooking by making a meatloaf.  I originally figured I'd be making meatballs in a fry pan on the gas burners of the stove, but the oven still has power, so meatloaf it is.  Eventually I do have to try shoveling out the cars.  I'm going to need energy, right?

It may be nasty outside, but inside my warm house smells absolutely fabulous.  Between the aroma and the final products, I'd say my snow day is a productive success.