Thursday, March 8, 2018

RAIN, SNOW, AND BS

By the time this posts, I will either be buried in snow as I attempt to shovel out my car, or I will be laughing at the forecasters as I wipe rain off the windshield and head to work at the usual time.

All day I watch out my work windows as the weather teeters between snow and rain, never truly committing to either.  My panic about driving my car, which handles horribly in snow, home through blizzard conditions turns into nothing more than annoyance at needing the wipers occasionally.  Oh, yes, the storm is so treacherous that I walk down to the pizza shop and grab two sub sandwiches for the kiddo and me.  I barely get rainy snow (or snowy rain) on my coat and hat.

Honestly.  What's the big deal?

As I finish off the sub sandwich (chicken fingers with lettuce, tomato, mayo, and bacon), I also drink an ice cold beer.  Afterward, I chow down a few Keebler Grasshopper cookies (essentially Thin Mints that cost $4 less per container), run a couple of loads of laundry, watch some episodes of Psych, and relax with an unanticipated evening off.

Yes, by the time I post this, I could be buried under a foot of thunder-snow after missing out on sleep due to the howling of winds and the crashing of more branches that survived the massive wind and rain storm from a few days ago.  I might even have the day off from work.  According to the 7:30 p.m. news, there may be ten to fifteen inches of snow on the now-barren ground within twelve hours.  According to opening my front door at 7:45 p.m., it is still raining.

Snow?  I don't believe it.  It doesn't make sense.

But, at the risk of being totally wrong, in addition to the laundry, I have also done the dishes and bagged up some extra ice cubes.  I bought some groceries and some alcohol and made sure the car has enough gas.  I will probably draw the line at filling the tub with water, though, because I don't think I'll be housebound for any great length of time.

Whatever happens, I think I'm ready ... over-ready, perhaps.  I'll let you know how it all turns out.