Sunday, March 11, 2018

POST-STORM DAY #2: NOT HORRIFIC, BUT STILL IMPACTFUL

Day #2 of Armageddon:

Today I cruise around town in about a three-mile radius, surveying more of the storm damage.  While it's not entirely catastrophic (unlike some other weather disasters we've had, storm remnants do not include major property damage), it does continue to shock me how many tree limbs are down and how many trees have flat-out fallen over.

Many parts of town are still inaccessible either by trees, downed wires, or by the bucket crews attempting to repair the carnage.  The street next to me is closed, causing traffic to be rerouted over my tiny, mainly unplowed street.  This factor alone is what limits me to my immediate area.  There are still so many roads that are only semi-open (one lane for both directions) and major intersections without working traffic lights.  It's a little scary venturing farther than necessary, and this misadventure is, in and of itself, mostly unnecessary.

Well, other than the fact that my car desperately needs gas, I mean.  So, technically, I only NEED to venture about a half mile, but curiosity and shock URGE me out a little farther.

Even though I have an idea of what awaits me, and even though I hope much of the mess has been hauled at least to the sides of the roads, I am surprised and disappointed by what is still out there.  I am also a little annoyed at how many residents refuse to pick up some of the crap that still blocks the streets.  I mean, would it kill you to drag that tree limb onto your snow-covered lawn so cars won't come around the corner and wipe out (like I almost did at least four times)?  Would it break your damn arms to snap a few branches jutting out from your trees into the road at windshield height?  Aren't you at all worried about being sued?

Most of today's damage is from the trees.  I pass by only three downed wires.  This morning, there were still about 6,000 homes and businesses in town without power.  By late afternoon, the number is down to about 3,000.  Some people won't be back on the grid for another forty-eight hours, so I consider myself fortunate and quite humbled to have lost power for only a few moments off and on.  I shouldn't be surprised by what I see today, but I still am.  I am also terrified every time I drive under random, giant, snow-covered tree limbs hanging over the streets, convinced they will crack and squish me as I drive under them. 

We are all still in recovery mode -- property-wise, physically, mentally, and emotionally.  It may not have been a horrific storm, but it certainly leaves an impact.