Monday, March 5, 2018

LIFESTYLE THAT MOVES

I am constantly toying with the idea of moving.  I've always been the person with wings on my feet: never at a job too long, never at a place too long, never with the furniture in the same placement for too long.  So it's kind of ironic that I've lived in the same neighborhood for over twenty years and the same house for over a dozen years, and that I've worked at the same place for almost two decades.

Zillow and Realtor.com have become my new favorite websites.  Do I buy?  Do I rent?  Do I commute? Do I stay close?  Do I jump ship and move far, far away and never look back?  Stay where it snows?  Move where it doesn't? 

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I come across an article in a magazine that shows how much the area real estate prices have risen over the last decade.  I look at these numbers and have to wonder: Who the hell can afford this?  Seriously. That seems ridiculous to me.  If I am reading this chart correctly, the median home prices in the crime-ridden city of Lawrence nearby have risen at a rate of about 78% over the last five years. 

In the meantime, I live in a great little place that I can afford, and, apparently, I must be happy here because I've been here longer than I've ever lived anywhere in my entire life.  I'm in no real rush to go anywhere, though I have started pruning my belongings.  But, every time I go somewhere, I imagine how great it would be to live there: Vermont, Montreal, Maine, New Hampshire, Delaware, New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina ...

Hmmmmmm.  Maybe what I really need is an RV.  I don't think the real estate is so much of a problem as is the stagnant nature of living in the same place.  Maybe the constant need to move is more a constant urge to go off exploring. 

That's it!  I'm changing my name to something like Lewis Clark. As soon as I can retire, I'm out of here!  Take THAT, Zillow and realtor.com.  Time to start looking at RV's and campgrounds -- a lifestyle that moves all the time.