Wednesday, March 14, 2018

PHONE IS TEMPORARILY DEAD

All the things to do to get ready for the storm:

I have food; I have milk; I have bread; I have beer and wine; I have blankets; I have candles; I have shovels; I have gas in the car; I have boots and snowshoes and gear; I have gloves and scarves and coats.

Ooops.  Forgot toilet paper.  I grab a roll from work, just in case, but it's that scratchy, sand-papery stuff, so I hit the tiny grocery store (crowded, but no lines) on the way home.  I buy (soft) toilet paper, a big container of hamburg, some stuffed clams, and a random can of corn because you never know
how much canned food you might need, and I'm sure that I can make something Mexican-ish with hamburg and salsa and corn.  (My stove is gas, so I can still light burners with a match even if the electricity fails.  I'm not going to starve!)

I believe that I am all set until I wake up in the beginnings of what plans to be a day-long (or longer) Nor'easter.  The snow is piling up faster than I anticipated, and we may be losing power (yet again).  For some reason I expected it to ramp up later than it has.  I check my cell phone and discover that sometime during the night I accidentally unplugged it from the charger. 

The phone is dead.  DEAD.  D-E-A-D.

I plug the poor thing into the charger, the end of which is sitting on the bedroom carpet charging into nowhere while still attached to the power source.  Unbelievable.  I am completely ready to be housebound for days, if need be, and somehow I have managed to disconnect myself from technology, which, in retrospect, isn't such a horrible thing.

Well, I suppose I should look on the bright side: If one of us should wake up dead, I'm certainly relieved it's the phone and not me.