Wednesday, February 28, 2018

SPRING REARS ITS HEAD

Spring has been rearing its head here in New England: many days in the mid-to-high 50's, a few days in the 60's, a day in the 70's.  Hard to believe it's February, almost March, usually a time of snow and miserable, biting winds.

I do get a real taste of spring - maybe even summer - when I visit my son's family.  North Carolina weather, at least where my kiddo lives, is fabulous.  I've never had bad weather when I've been there.  Oh, sure, there was one thunderstorm (lasted maybe twenty minutes) and some spotty rain every so often, but it's gorgeous there. 

The difference, though, is that no matter how much spring pretends to be here in New England, everything is still bleak.  Lawns are still brownish, trees are still leafless, and flowers are nonexistent.  In North Carolina the lawns are lush, the trees are covered with blossoms, and there are some flowers peeking out and greeting the season that isn't quite here officially just yet.

Amazing how a touch of the future weather can assist in attitude adjustment.  Oh, don't get me wrong!  Seeing my son and his family is definitely the tonic that cures what ails me, but wearing short sleeves and not needing socks outside in February?  Knowing that it's already spring somewhere and soon to be so here?

It's downright rejuvenating (and incredibly tempting).