Sunday, February 4, 2018

ONE OF THOSE DAYS

I'm having "one of those days."  You know the kind -- Things aren't going right but they're not going wrong, either.  I have a pile of work to get done, plus it's Super Bowl weekend; I have errands to run, and it's chilly and a bit icy outside; I still have that cold a little bit, but I'm feeling better when I wake up (it doesn't take ninety minutes to clear my head).

I'm stuck at the kitchen table doing some work, correcting electronic papers against a rubric -- a monotonous but necessary activity -- when a twinkle catches my attention.  I follow the sparkling ray of light to the tile floor across the room.

It's the light spectrum.  Rainbow-colored shards of light dance across the ceramic, distracting me from the important business of being a teacher.  I follow it up to the window in the back door.  I have forgotten that this morning I tied up the fabric shade to allow sunlight into the back hall.  Actually, I had totally forgotten that I even have a window in the back door.

Sometimes all we need are little signs, small distractions injected into hectic days to remind us that we need to slow downYou know, a little sign like a window-generated rainbow.