Saturday, February 3, 2018

NAMASTE, ASSHOLE

My old college textbooks can never, ever be used by anyone else, so most of them go to the recycle bin as soon as the courses finish.  The reason why my textbooks cannot go back on the shelf as "used" is because I write things in them.

Bad things.  Honest things, but bad, just the same.

Plato's cave allegory?  I make notes in the margins about being one of the wall-dwellers laughing at the enlightened shadows, and my notes are full of colorful language.  As if Plato isn't bad enough, I also insult everyone from Faulkner to Shakespeare, Freud to Piaget, Cotton Mather to Bill Gates. 

Very few are safe from the foul-penned rants of a bored adult college student sitting through a monotonous lecture aimed at younger students.  Many of my text-rants are directed at the instructor and the dry, slow-death delivery of some of those three-plus hour weekly lectures.  I hold on to those memories and, true to a promise to myself, I rarely, if ever, lecture my classes for any length of time lest I totally kill my students' interest in learning.

I am under the mistaken belief that defacing my own textbooks is over, a sport long-gone.  But, I am taking a course through work, and we're reading a book on mindfulness theory and how if affects our teaching.  Not only am I supposed to read and absorb the material, I am supposed to do it calmly and with mindful intent.  Unfortunately, I am mere pages into the book when something the author writes raises my hackles.

I write in the margin: F.U.  I read a little further and write F.U. again.  The next chapter is better, though, with suggestions and strategies to be a better teacher.  I'm excited!  This is the information for which I've been waiting.  And then ... an then ...

And then I read the fateful line: To help individual teachers - and especially young teachers... 

Excuse me?!  Only young teachers are capable of being mindful?  What -- we elderly buggahs are too stupid?  Experienced teachers don't need to relax? 

I have flashbacks to college; I have flashbacks to Plato's cave.  I am academically, intellectually, and professionally insulted all over again, but it's all cool.  I mindfully write Thanks, asshole in the margin, calmly put down the book mid-chapter, breathe deeply, and call it an evening. 

Alas, another textbook that will end up in the trash.  Namaste.