Thursday, February 15, 2018

SALSA ATTACK

I want salsa.

I have been looking forward to this salsa ever since I remember halfway through my day that the salsa is in the fridge and that my son (who owns the salsa) will not be home this evening. This means that I can eat the salsa and play dumb tomorrow when he figures out that it's gone.

I get home from another arduous day at work and go straight for the fridge -- do not pass Go; do not collect $200.   I take the store-bought container of salsa out and open the lid. I ... open ... the ... I ... open ... open... OPEN ...  DAMNATION. 

I cannot even believe that the top won't come off.  I know the damn thing CAN open because my son was eating the stuff the other night.  I try prying the cover off with what's left of my fingernails.  I try using a spoon under the edges.  I run it under warm water in case it's salsa-sealed.

Nothing.  Nothing ... except that I WANT THE SALSA.

I give the top a few more tries, then I go into the drawer and find the old, mismatched serrated knife that I keep for such auspicious occasions as sawing down larger cardboard boxes.  I try using it as a miniature crowbar, but nothing works.

That's it.  I'm done with you, salsa container!

I arc the knife carefully above the lid of the container, then I stab that sonofabitch.  Once the knife is in securely, I saw around
the inside lip of the cover, eventually popping out the entire top piece like the pane of a window.

I don't care what people think!  I don't care if I have to transfer the leftovers to another container and explain myself to my son when he comes home tomorrow.  Actually, I don't even have to worry about any of that because I eat all of the salsa, every last wonderful morsel of it, then toss away the container.  It's the beauty of the "no evidence" defense.

It's both disturbing to me and fascinating to know that if I ever truly have to live alone, I have some coping mechanisms and am still very skillful with a blade -- I certainly won't starve to death, that's for sure.