Tuesday, February 20, 2018

SHOVELING THE STEW

It's supposed to get warm here over the next couple of days.  Oh, don't worry; we're not that stupid.  We are well aware that winter isn't remotely over.  I predict at least one more big storm in our future this season.

As soon as the forecasters mention "sixties, maybe even seventy in places," we are already thinking "Spring."  There are people standing outside in short-sleeve shirts, shorts, and others are flocking to the beaches for walks and photo ops.  Problem is ... it's still rather windy and cold outside.  I'm guilty, too.  I am already thinking about barbecuing, yet the grill is still covered with about an inch-thick layer of snow and ice.

Planning my shopping trip today, I realize that a summer-type meal really isn't appropriate.  Not yet, anyway.  The thermometer says 42, but the biting wind screams otherwise.  In the store I head to the vegetable aisle first, grabbing fresh potatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, and a bunch of other healthy stuff.  When I approach the meat counter, though, I cannot help but gravitate toward the roasts.  My brain is telling me the warm front is coming; my bones are telling me it's still winter.

I pick up a rump roast, put it down, pick it up, put it down, then, finally, pick it up and put it in my cart.  Yup, I'm cooking a good old-fashioned pot roast for dinner tonight.  It's still chilly, the heat is still on, and it's not "Spring" just yet (nor will it be for weeks, warm front or not).

I'm trying to get on board with this whole "It's going to be seventy degrees" vibe, but really, truly, there's nothing quite like a Yankee pot roast dinner.  It doesn't matter if it's forty degrees (which it is) or forty-below.

Comfort food is comfort food.

It may be warm outside soon, but right now it's warm inside.  The stew is simmering, the gravy is thickening, and the table is set.  Come on in, Spring, if you want, but you'll have to sit through winter dinner to get here.  After all, it's still February; we New Englanders know how this works.  I may be shoveling in stew tonight, but I very well could be shoveling snow in a few days, and I need to be ready.