Sunday, February 18, 2018

THE PIZZA GAME

There's one piece of pizza leftover in the fridge.

My son and I debate who will get to eat it.  I paid for it and walked down (after another long, shitty day) to get it.  He called it in and settled for yet-another pizza dinner before rushing off to lacrosse.  This piece is the only remainder.

At first I say, "I guess you can have it," like a good mom should.  He grabs the piece of pizza and walks away from me, but then I remember that he's an adult.  So, I quickly change my tune and yell, "Let's shoot for it."

This challenge, much like the dreaded Triple Dog Dare challenge, involves Rock, Paper, Scissors Shoot.  I am reasonably adept at this game. I run into the living room where he is watching television (or playing video games - it varies from moment to moment now that college lacrosse season has started). 

I challenge him: "Best two out of three."

Round #1, I throw scissors and he throws rock.  I'm down one immediately.  Round #2, we both throw rock.  Round #3, I win by throwing scissors to his paper, so now it's all even.  We're tied.

At this point, "rock" seems to be the heavy hitter.  I have to think.  If he has thrown rock twice and I've thrown scissors twice, I'm thinking that he will think I'm going for scissors again.  I am figuring he will throw rock to crush my scissors.

So, I shoot "paper."

I look down.  He has thrown rock.  I win.  I WIN!  I win the piece of pizza.  When I look at the pizza slice though, I see that he has already taken a huge bite out of the pizza.  He didn't even heat it up!  He's a HEATHEN.

"Rock, paper, scissors, shoot," he announces and throws up his middle finger, tossing me The Bird.

Ah, well.  I have only myself to blame.  I taught him everything he knows.