Thursday, February 8, 2018

SALT HAS A NEW PURPOSE

The brilliant idea of having a full day of school today means that my drive home is slippery, dangerous, treacherous, and nearly crash-worthy.  My car, small and without snow tires, slips and slides all over the road, barely climbing small hills and pushing me and my heavy pile of metal vehicle precariously close to the pond as I head home.

The only benefit of the day is that the freezing rain starts as I am driving home, so my car is merely snow-covered when I leave work, an easy clean-off in the school lot.  My son, home early, shovels the driveway so I can back into my space, but within mere minutes of parking, the driveway is completely ice-coated. 

I quite literally make it home in the nick of time.

The predicted deep-freeze tonight poses a problem: icy driveway means I will slip and slide to, and possibly past, my car tomorrow morning.  I check the ice melt supply.  I am reasonably sure that I have half of a container left, enough for the morning melt. 

It turns out to be a bad bet; I have almost no ice melt left.

There is no way I'm going out in search of the damn stuff.  It's too dangerous, and, now that I've helped finish the shoveling in the freezing rain, I am soaked through my outerwear.  I do, though, have a semi-fabulous idea.  I have lots of salt in the cabinet.  For some reason, I kept forgetting to buy salt, and then I kept remembering to buy salt.  This craziness results in having three containers full of regular table salt stashed away.

So, tomorrow morning, when you read about stupid stuff and silly stunts people pull to get to their iced-in cars, remember I said I have that table salt because I am going to use it and hope to the ice gods above that I am able to get to my car (not sail past it) without breaking any bones in my old body. 

Update later; hopefully NO film at 11.