Friday, February 2, 2018

BEER AND BLACKBERRIES

I've fallen off the wagon, so to speak.  No, not THAT wagon.  I've fallen off the Take Good Care of Myself wagon.

Sure, when I go out snowshoeing or walking, I do just fine, but I've gotten out of the habit.  I'd love to jog, but it's not something my body enjoys AT ALL.  My lungs hate it, my back hates it, and my capacity for boredom hates it. Jogging.  Is.  Boring.

I know, I know; you're going to tell me if I find jogging boring, I must be doing it wrong.  True.  I love jogging through the woods and all that cross-country stuff, but I also know that as a lone woman and living near wildlife, jogging alone in the woods isn't a very bright idea.  I did it a few times, even after the turkeys surprised me on the wooden bridge over the pond.  I never "jogged" so damn fast in my life.

I used to lift weights.  I liked that just fine, but, again, boring.  BORING.  Do this machine, follow this circuit, stop at this weight bench... Worse than the repetitive monotony, the people at the gym around me refused to wipe down the equipment.  Thanks, but no thanks, I am WELL AWARE of how ringworm spreads.

And how, pray tell, am I aware of that?  Martial Arts.  For a while, since my boys were doing it, I tried judo.  Loved it; sucked at it.  (And, no, I never got ringworm, but men, for the love of gawd, wash your damn gis!)  I need much more repetitive practice than I could get in ninety-minute judo classes twice a week or so, but I didn't have any other time available.  It helped with my balance and all, and I had fabulous abs for a while, but foot surgery ended judo for me for good.

I've been rather aimless lately without any kind of organized physical activity, so instead I've concentrated on eating better, cutting out synthetic vitamin supplements and relying on healthier food choices.  Well, except for an occasional chocolate and my worst passion, which is crackers.  Damn, I do love crackers and almost every kind of bread there is in the entire world.

Tonight, while feeling somewhat guilty after eating a piece and a half of cheese pizza and having some French fries, I attempt to be healthy (not that pizza is horrible, but fries sure are).  I try, but it's not working for me.  My work life is stressful and sucks somewhat right about now.

So, folks, I'm here to admit that tonight's health regimen is BEER AND BLACKBERRIES.  I figure the beer has hops and grains and things like that, and the blackberries are loaded with antioxidants.  There must be something healthy happening in there somewhere.  I'm not eating crackers and I have almost entirely given up any kind of soda.  Beer and blackberries must be healthier, right?

Oh, well.  I just have to make it through the week.  January was a tough, tough, TOUGH month at work, but now that it's February, I'm going to pay more attention to me and my health.  I don't know if I will be successful in that endeavor, but I can tell you with great gusto that I have successfully completed something:

The beer and blackberries are gone ... and it only took fifteen minutes!  There has to be some merit in that.