Friday, February 23, 2018

ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS

Today I come across a book of daily questions.  This is really good because I could use some things to ponder in my life other than:
  • What's for dinner?
  • Do I really have to get out of this warm bed and go to work?
  • Will I ever finish downsizing my belongings?
  • When will my hair be long enough to pull back out of my eyes?
  • What happened to all of my matching socks?
I start perusing through the book and stop on today's question:
  • What do you see outside your window?

Snow.  That's what I see.  After being outside in a t-shirt and capri pants yesterday, today it is snowing outside. It is overcast and gray and it is sleeting then becoming a steady snowfall.  Awesome.  I mean, it truly is because, for the most part, I get very excited when I see snow.  It's a lovely sight even when it's blowing sideways and requires shoveling.  But, after having the windows open wide for two days, this question has a bite to it.

I decide to look at tomorrow's question since the blog will post tomorrow (well, today, if you're reading it). 
  • What struggle are you happy to have behind you?
Good gravy.  I can only pick one?  Seriously?  The book only gives me a few lines to write on because it is supposed to be a book you take several years to fill.  I guess that means that this year I can come up with one struggle, then next year I can list another, then the year after that...  How fabulous would it be to be able to answer this question with only one short paragraph a year!  Lucky, lucky people who can answer such a question in a few sentences.

Truth is, though, no struggle makes me happy to leave behind.  That implies that I have been unhappy during times of change and accomplishment.  Not every struggle is a result of tragedy or hardship or depression or illness or disaster.  Some struggles are those of climbing hills that are physical, mental, academic, familial, metaphysical, and beyond.  Why would I be happy to forget about those? 

Struggle is growth.  Growth is good for the body and soul, regardless of how it comes along. 

Hmmmm.  An interesting book, a thoughtful book.  I turn the book over and look at the price.  Maybe I'll buy myself the book and see what else it holds.  That's when I see the price.  $29.95.  No word of a lie -- $29.95 for a small book of daily questions to ponder.

Here's today's struggle that I'm happy to put behind me: Whether or not to buy the book.  The answer is NO.  Struggle over.  See?  I guess I can answer that question in a paragraph or less.