Monday, December 12, 2016

WEATHERING THE WEATHER

There's a small, satellite Stop'N'Shop grocery store near my house.  The thing about it is that the Stop'N'Shop doesn't realize that it's in business.  It thinks that it's a corner mom-and-pop operation.

This is both an advantage and a disadvantage

When I need to buy a few things and want to be in and out of the store in quick time, I head to Stop'N'Shop.  When I don't want to put on make-up, I head to Stop'N'Shop.  When I don't want to fight traffic, I head to Stop'N'Shop.

Snow is coming, though.  This is big.  This is horrifying.  People are incredibly worried that someone will  buy all the butter and eggs, so they're stockpiling like it's Doomsday.  Not a lot of snow, by the way; several inches with it getting slushy when it all turns to rain by midday.

This is how it happens every single time snow is mentioned. This is when the crazies are all out.

People descend on all the other, bigger grocery stores like the stores hold the last drops of water on earth.  I don't really need anything.  I have eggs, I have milk, and I have toilet paper.  I'll weather the weather just fine.  But, I want to make a new recipe for dinner, so I take a chance that the tiny Stop'N'Shop won't be too bad.

It is more crowded than I've ever seen it.  There are maybe forty people in the store, and I have to wait in a line behind two people with similarly small orders.

Oh, the humanity!

At first when this little satellite store opened, I thought it was a horrible waste.  Now I find it endearing, and I also find the whole situation highly entertaining.  I know damn well that the bigger store a few miles away is mobbed, there may even be fights breaking out over the last can of pet food on the shelf.

I don't care.  I'm home and carrying my groceries in (all in one trip) in less time than it would take me to find a parking space at the big-time store before a storm.

Why?  Because it's going to snow a teeny bit, and people who shouldn't live in New England are trying to grocery shop alongside those of us who should live here.