Tuesday, December 20, 2016

SUMMONING HOLIDAY PATIENCE

Much as I try, I cannot seem to summon any holiday patience. 

I have an appointment at 1:00, so I arrive Sunday at the automated parcel postage machine with twenty-five minutes to spare to be on time for my appointment.  No problem.  I am next in line behind an elderly woman and her husband.  This is until I realize that she cannot make her card work and has to keep restarting the whole process.  I can almost wait, really I can, until she starts taking packages out of a bag.  The stream of packages seems never-ending, like Mary Poppins pulling lamps and furniture out of her tiny carpetbag.

The woman behind me tries to help the woman in front of me.  Finally, I step in, press the buttons, run her card, and move her along.  I am now ten minutes late to my appointment.  Worst of all, I don't even need to print the postage; I just need to verify the weight -- a simple, twenty seconds worth of time that takes me over a half hour as "next in line."

Monday comes shopping.  I hate shopping to start with, but couple it with the holiday season, and I am easily in rage mode when at stores.  I need to make six stops on a late Monday afternoon.  Stop #1 -- no line; no problem.  Stop #2, a line (not too awful), but I grin and bear it.  Stop #3 -- ridiculous line, three cashiers, huge search for gift cards. 

The lines I can take.  Not having gift cards or gift card envelopes, though -- That's just horrible store management.  Stop #4 not only requires me to beg for an envelope, I have to beg for a small bag, as well.  Stop #6 (I know I skipped one -- hang with me) doesn't have holiday gift cards nor envelopes, and I have to buy a non-holiday themed card (still no envelopes) and beg for a bag, as well.  What is it with people bogarting their damn plastic bags?

Stop #5 is deja vu.  I am in a line, not a terribly long line, and I keep looking at the one person manning the counter.  He is dealing with a customer, a tall man about my age, and they are holding an animated conversation.  Then, the sales clerk's telephone gets involved.  As time ticks away, I notice people leaving the line.  The woman behind me asks how long this one customer has been at it.  "Fifteen minutes so far," I respond, "but he was here before I got in line, so maybe longer."  People in line are fidgeting uncomfortably, rolling their eyes, sighing, looking around, sending eye daggers to the clerk and the customer.  I feel like Ralphie waiting to tell Santa he wants a Red Ryder BB gun.

I bail at the eighteen minute mark.  I have so many more important things to do with my life, and this certainly is not one of them.  I don't know what kind of problem the customer has that requires phone calls when we are all standing in line at a gift card kiosk.  Either you have the card, or you don't; either you have payment, or you don't. 

This is not frigging rocket science -- it's Christmas.  At least, it's supposed to be.

My children will be proud of me.  I didn't create a scene, but I did tell the woman behind me that I guess these  particular gift cards will not be under my tree.  Not my loss.  Not by a long shot.  I'd love to summon some holiday patience, but time is flying by, and I do not want to spend the entire season in rush-mode. 

So, people, Merry Christmas.  My gift to you is not blowing a head gasket while waiting in stupid, idiotic, unnecessary, futile, asinine, dumb-ass lines.