Tuesday, December 6, 2016

MONDAY, MONDAY

When my school was remodeled two years ago, someone decided to ditch our SmartBoards (completely interactive for the students) in favor of ENO Boards (useless pieces of shit).  A SmartBoard is like a giant touch-screen computer for multiple people to use at once.  An ENO Board is a glorified overhead projector that one person can use at a time, and writing on it makes you look like you're trying to do calligraphy with sidewalk chalk.

However, the new school does have miraculous sound systems in every room.  Massively efficient speakers are built into the ceiling.  Sometimes when I'm the first one or last one to work, I crank the sound system until the ceiling tiles shake.

Of course, being thirty feet from the superintendent's office makes this a dangerous game of roulette, but I do it anyway.  Sometimes the teacher next to me cranks up her sound system, as well.  She leans more toward Frank Sinatra.  I have a more eclectic approach that depends upon my mood --  anything from Dropkick Murphys to Mendelssohn.  Honestly, I rock out to Shipping Up to Boston as easily as A Midsummer Night's Dream Overture

This morning I am grooving along to classic Christmas hits (Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, etc.) and setting up my daily agenda on my mostly-ridiculous ENO Board when I hear something different.  Someone in the hallway near my room is blasting the Mamas and the Papas.

"Monday, Monday ... so good to me..."

I step into the hallway and notice the math teacher three rooms away is also peeking to see from where the music is coming.  It is definitely not the Sinatra fanatic between us.  We smile at each other from a reasonable distance and both shoot from opposite directions, turning into the musical hallway.

It's the science teacher!  We've never heard her play music in her room before, let alone so boldly.  Suddenly there's a Monday morning dance party happening in the science room.  We're dancing, we're lip-synching, and all before 7:30 in the morning on a dreaded Monday. 

The math teacher and I head back toward our respective rooms, boogeying out as if this is a planned part of our impromptu routine.  I head back to my holiday tunes and my finicky ENO Board, ready to start what may have been a crappy day, but, thanks to some Mamas and Papas, it has improved infinitely.