Sunday, December 18, 2016

ALL REDS, ALL DAY

After being out of the game for a few weeks with surgery, general malaise, and trips out of state, I finally hit the wine tasting circuit again this weekend.  There are four in total, but I only hit three.  Well, more like one and a bit and a bit.

This weekend it's all about the reds.  One tasting has two whites and then six reds -- nice combos of pinot, merlot, cab, and a blend.  The second tasting is two tables of all pinot noir and nothing but pinot noir.  The third tastings has two reds and a dessert wine. 

I end up pouring out more than I sip this week as I am still a little bit down for the count.  Also, after a while, all of the reds start to taste the same.  Could be because my palate is out of practice with the wines, or it could be because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, anyway.  When a $60 wine tastes worse than a $40 wine which isn't nearly as delectable as the $13 wine, I know I'm an amateur.

True to form, though, I find several that I like but am determined to only recommend one.  So, I spin the options: $16 Bogle Phantom Red Blend (best label), $22 Muga Reserva Rioja (which I suspect I have already plugged here), or $20 Saint Cosme Cotes Du Rhone.

And the winner this week is ... the $20 (2015 vintage) French red, the Cotes Du Rhone!

This wine has a deep red color, a wonderful aroma of flowers, spices, and chocolate, and is dry and smooth.  It has no lingering after-taste and warrants a second sip after I've gone through the gamut of wines.  Besides, it will go well with both the Christmas Eve beef stew and the Christmas Day lasagna.

That's my pick of the week.  Don't ask me about the pinots -- they are all amazing today, but not a single one is coming home with me.  It's like puppies: if I can't have them all, I won't take any.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.