Friday, December 2, 2016

STARTING MY MUSICAL DAY

(Click on the links.)

My weekday alarm is set to 5:05 so that when I wake up in the morning, the first thing I see looks like a red, flashing SOS.  My clock-radio only gets two stations clearly and never at the same time.  For a few months, the local Spanish music station will come in clearly.  Then, for no known reason, I'll lose the signal and have to try and tune in the classical station out of Boston.

Currently, my clock-radio is in classical mode.  I never know if 5:05 will bring guitar, piano, or full-on symphony music, so this morning's fare wakes me with an air of familiarity.  What is that,  I keep thinking as I hesitate to turn off the sound.  I know this music.

The longer I listen, the more I am certain that I should be able to place this composition.  Finally, the finale of the piece arrives.   

Oh, of course I know this piece.  Everyone knows this piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIbYCOiETx0
 
I bound out of bed and get right to my day, inspired by the music and its pace.  On my way to work, I attempt to listen to Christmas music on the car stereo, but, as is all too common in morning radio, there's way too much yapping by  disc jockeys and not enough actual music.

Again, I hit the old stand-by, my comfort classical station. I pull into the parking lot, ready to turn off the radio and get on with my day, when the music again speaks to me and tells me what kind of morning I am about to have. This is the exact same music my old cell phone used as a ring tone for when my kids' high school principal would call with some terrible problem, like one of my children got caught with spit balls: 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Now, if I only hear this one, my day will truly be complete.  After all, once I enter the doors of work, this will be the pace I keep until it's time to cut out for the evening.  Annnnnnnd.... I'm off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAJopwEYv8