Saturday, December 10, 2016

ARTSY-CRAFTY

For some inexplicable reason, I have the brilliant brainstorm to make something; something artsy and crafty, neither of which am I. 

After being at work and fighting off every infection the kids are passing around (another few bit the dust today and had to be sent home, and the entire staff is following suit), my usual Friday night involves sitting down at the table, playing a computer game, and waking up sometime later (like 7:30 in the evening) with my face plastered to the kitchen table cloth.

It's a sad existence, but someone has to live it.

Tonight, though, I decide to slowly make my way into a project.  The washer and dryer are necessary parts of this process, and when I remove the materials from the dryer, they look clean and well-shrunken as needed. 

Fabulous.  All I need to do now is iron.

This seems like a no-brainer except my materials are covered with thread.  If I iron now and pick the threads off later, I'll end up with wrinkles in my project materials.  So, I stop and pick the threads off.  Every time I think I have all of the errant threads, more pop up and ruin my evening, and, by ruining my evening, I mean that it takes me three times as long to iron than it would've if the materials had not been covered with errant threads.

Finally, everything is good to go.

I gather my stuff, get started, and actually make some decent progress.  When I get to a good stoppage point, I look at my pile of thread and realize that the straggly mess looks kind of like an animal or a lizard or a dragon.  It looks rather interesting.

Hey, apparently I AM  artsy and crafty, after all!

Ouch.  Wait.  On the heels of patting myself on the back, I accidentally stab myself with not one long sewing pin, not two or three long sewing pins; I accidentally catch my right hand four times in the course of seven minutes on large sewing pins, once so deeply that I swear it touches bone, blood gushing out almost immediately and threatening to ruin my artsy-crafty project.

I should be fine.  Only one more arduous step in the process then I'm finished.  Of course, it's super-late right now and I missed my early evening nap.  Rather than fade, I'll go pack up my artsy-crafty materials until tomorrow.