Thursday, October 1, 2015

RAIN, RAIN ...

Rain, rain, go away...

Actually, we need the rain, so I don't mind it at all.  I finally dig out an old raincoat from the basement, give it the Fabreeze treatment, and wear that sucker to work.  When I tell you it's raining here, I'm talking Biblical deluge.

We are attending an all-school assembly in the new auditorium when I turn to the teacher next to me and whisper, "I can't shake the feeling that the ceiling is going to let go."

The ceiling remains intact, despite the tremendous pounding that can be heard from above and despite the commotion in the giant room.  Later, the HVAC system fails in my wing of the building, and just around the corner in a science room, a portion of the ceiling lets loose.  I guess my early-warning system is slightly off.

Either way, I find myself pulling down the semi-opaque shades over my windows.  I can't take it.  I just cannot tolerate how much it is raining.  It's raining scary; that's the only way to describe what's happening on the other side of the glass.  It's as dark as night with sheet after sheet of straight-down water rushing in torrents all over the parking lot.  Thank God (and Noah) we're on a high hill here at school.

Later, I run a few errands, texting my son to pre-warn him his access road to home from work has one section almost completely washed out near the Fed-Ex building.  Of course, I follow other crazy-ass people right on through, completely aware that my car could stall out in the mini-pond and yet completely willing to Captain Nemo my way by.

Sure, we need rain, but Friday is Oktoberfest at the brewery, and I suspect many of us will be stuck in the parking lot area.  If the rain can just avoid spoiling that experience, it would be great.  Rain, rain, go away on Friday, if you please.  Isn't that how the nursery rhyme goes?  No?

It should be.