Tuesday, October 20, 2015

DOWN WITH ICE



Damn, it’s here already.

This morning I almost have to warm my car up to defrost the windows.  Almost.  I can tell tomorrow will be a pre-warm-the-car kind of morning, but today I escape.  No ice to scrape off the windows; no frost clogging up my commute.

I mistakenly believe I’ve sidestepped winter for another few moments.  I head off to work where, surprise, the heat is actually on for a while.  I wear my extra fleece over my sweater for most of the day, and rejoice when I leave work and it is nice enough to open car windows if even for a little while.  (Okay, I have heat on my feet with the windows open.  Sue me.  It’s a New England thing.)

It isn’t until I get home and fire up the computer that I realize winter may have arrived already, slightly ahead of schedule but here just the same.  I see via an Internet post that my friend has fallen and broken her collar bone in multiple places. 

How does this happen?  She isn’t a clumsy person.  It’s not like she’s frail and aged.  But, a collar bone?  Broken?  Multiple times? 

Seriously – how the heck did this happen? 

The answer:  Icy driveway.

That’s right.  Ice.  In her driveway.  ICE. 

Even worse, what’s the best way to keep the swelling down and reduce the pain?  Yup, you guessed correctly: ICE.

Oh, the irony.  Oh, winter.  Oh, damn.

It’s here already.