Monday, October 19, 2015

GOLDILOCKS AND HER (MY) MATTRESS



Today I take my bed apart.  Well, not completely apart.  You see, I’m having  Goldilocks moment. 

Recently I told the tale of getting rid of my old bed.  Somewhere someone has a beautiful, free, full-sized black iron bed frame complete with everything except a canopy.  I traded my beat up mattresses for a firmer mattress (stolen from another bedroom in my house) and added a brand new, thick, rather expensive Tempurpedic foam topper.  It’s supposed to be luxurious … the last word in sleep.

I’ll admit it – the foam is ridiculously pliant.  It forms to every curve of my body, which, at my age and life experience, involves more curves than is necessary.  It’s so soft and so comfy, like lying down on a cloud. 

I thought I was going to love it.

Wrong.

I flipping HATE it.

Every night I try to get right into the middle of the bed.  This maneuver requires a bit of a hop-leap-roll technique that I finally mastered after a month of trying.  I swear I have a sensation of rolling toward the edge, as if sometime during the night, my hip will pop out of its foamy grip and launch me into the middle of the room onto the floor.  My brain tells me this cannot be so; the mattress has me nestled deeply into its softness.

I also like to roll onto my back during the night when I shift positions to accompany the restless dreams I have.  One would think the thick foam would envelope me into its softness, molding to my every spinal need.

Wrong.
 
Instead I have the sensation that I am sitting up in a semi-prone position.  I have to toss the pillow away just to relieve the pain in my shoulders and neck.

Look, I’m a firm mattress kind of gal.  I always have been; I always will be.  Not too firm, though, and not too soft.  I’m like Goldilocks – I need the mattress just right.  Maybe what I need is one of those sleep number control beds that I can set to my liking.  I don’t know anymore.

What I do know is that I hauled that foam slab off the old mattress this morning and am looking ridiculously forward to sleeping on a lumpy old stiff crappy mattress.  My hip and shoulder will line up when I sleep on my side, and my spine will be stretched instead of crunched up when I turn halfway.

If the three bears find me still snoozing in the morning, then I guess the bed is finally just right.