Friday, October 9, 2015

TAKING A WALK/JOG

Finally I decide to go out for a walk-jog, only I avoid the track because I know it is loaded with miniature soccer players.  I'm a little bored, though, with my usual routine of heading up hill, turning at Harriet Beecher Stowe's headstone, and jogging downhill. 

I need something different, something quiet, something where the foliage will be nice, so I decide to head to the cemetery.  I get myself ready, jump in my car, and drive a couple of miles to West Parish, totally psyched for my quiet outing in the fresh air.  I hope I don't get too nervous being all alone in the cemetery.

Except, I'm not.  Alone, that is.

As I maneuver my car down by the stone chapel, I notice people, lots and lots of people.  The cemetery is more crowded with walkers today than it is with spirits on Halloween under a full moon when the clock strikes midnight.

I guess I don't need to worry about being too secluded should I run into an emergency.

There's a woman walking two children, several elderly people chugging along up the rickety stone sidewalk, three women walking three dogs even though this is a no-dog zone, and one super-creepy man.  I am also close enough to the main road that I could sprint easily and be seen almost immediately by dozens of cars.

This doesn't stop me from taking risks, though.  I hit a few short but secluded woodland paths that run along the outskirts of the massive cemetery, and, quite frankly, it's making me a little nervous.  Being out in the woods, even only one hundred yards off the main trail and onto a secluded one, my fight-or-flight response kicks in.  I remember that no one (but random walkers) knows where I am, so, after 1.75 miles, I pack it in and start heading home. 

Before I get back to my car, I pull my phone out of the arm strap and snap a photo so I can remember how beautiful it is today.  I'll come back again when the trees hit peak here, about another week, and try again for the solitude I crave and the fresh air I need.