Tuesday, October 6, 2015

VERTIGO - NOT THE HITCHCOCK KIND

Every so often I get a case of vertigo.  Sometimes it happens when I'm sick; sometimes it happens when I'm tired; sometimes it happens when I have a bad headache.

Sometimes, like today, it just happens.

A couple of times today I lose my footing, almost fall off a chair I'm standing on to write on the board, or I teeter toward a wall.  It sucks.  I turn my head to look at something, and my eyes and brain feel completely separated.  The vertigo makes me sick to my stomach, and a couple of times today I suspect I might even puke.

But, I don't.  I make it through the day.

Just when I believe I am feeling better, I glance at the clock.  It is my planning period at the end of the day, and I suspect it's somewhere around 2:00.

My suspicions are wrong. 

It is actually 2:40.  Yup, 2:40, meaning I didn't do hall duty at 2:21.  As a matter of fact, I didn't even hear the hundreds of students making a commotion right outside of my open door.

I'm hopeful that this is just another weird bout of vertigo and not a precursor to the flu or a sinus infection or one of the near-deadly colds that tear-ass through schools in the fall.  I'm also hopeful that the dizziness will be gone by tomorrow.  It kind of sucks coming down the stairs in the morning and walking smack into a wall because I cannot regulate my balance.

But, hey -- Sometimes it just happens.