Monday, October 12, 2015

SEARCHING FOR AUTUMN

I am searching for autumn. 

First, I head to the cemetery.  No, it's not as morbid as it sounds.  The cemetery has walking paths and connects with a larger, more intricate system of rural trails that criss-cross all over town, and it is loaded with some of the most beautiful fall trees in the area.  I mistakenly expect the trees to have changed already, but there are only a few partially hedging toward foliage mode.

Next, I decide to hit the state park with my kayak in tow.  We haven't had much rain lately, with the exception of one day where it deluged for hours, and the dry summer means the colors won't be as vibrant.  I figure the foliage around the big pond must be changing, though, right?  There's a lot of water out there. 

Nope.  Oh, sure, one or two or about five had started to show their seasonal colors, but, by and large, the results are lackluster.

So, my plan is to head out on another hike, one a little bit north of here, and search for autumn.  It won't be easy with the summer-like temperatures predicted, but I'm willing to give it a try.