Tuesday, October 27, 2015

TEAM JERSEY DAY



Red Ribbon Week at school means we have theme days every day that tie into and support the war against drugs.  Our local towns have a huge heroin problem, and, among other things including tobacco and alcohol, we are trying to raise the students’ awareness.

Friday is a Halloween theme since the holiday falls on Saturday when we’re not in school.  The idea is to scare drugs from our school and our lives.  I have black lip gloss, dark eye shadow, and black Halloween-themed t-shirts.

Thursday is Put Drugs to Bed day, and the theme is for pajamas to be worn.  I don’t usually wear theme clothing on pajama day, but I will probably break into the sweats this time around.

Wednesday’s theme is Put Drugs in the Past, and we can dress up as our favorite decade.  The last time we had a decades day, I put on the tie-dye and the Janis Joplin glasses.  This time around, I might go for the Indian-style maxi dress, though, but still be living in the 70’s.

Tuesday is all about wearing school colors, green and gold, and I’ve got that one covered.  I have green jeans (yes, I know that sounds like a character from Captain Kangaroo) and several school-themed shirts to wear, or maybe I’ll just wear a color-appropriate shirt.

Monday the theme has to do with Teaming Up Against Drugs, and I can choose any team jersey I want to wear to school.  My first thought is to go raid the old town lacrosse jerseys that I keep in my closet.  I love those jerseys.  They’re blue and gold and just the right size.  Or I can choose to wear Red Sox gear or a Patriots jersey or a Bruins jersey.  I can raid my son’s closet and borrow any number of professional soccer team jerseys.  Heck, I think he even has a team China basketball jersey hiding somewhere in that room. 

He overhears me telling my sister on the phone that I have to find a sports jersey for school.  “Mom,” he calls down the stairs, “Wanna wear my college lacrosse jersey?  It’s the yellow one.”

Oh.  Oh my.  He knows I loved those yellow jerseys and cried a little bit when the team gave them up for the more standard (and boring and ugly and ordinary) white ones.  Of course I want to wear that jersey.  When am I ever going to get another offer so grand?

He brings the jersey down and carefully hands it over.  I peruse it and quickly realize one thing: I should be holding this jersey by one finger; this thing needs a good wash.  It can practically walk on its own.

Two hours later, the jersey is washed, dried, and hanging up on the back of the door awaiting Theme Day #1 for the week.  It may not be the most recognizable jersey, and it may not be a shirt of champions, but it surely feels that way to me today, and, luckily, it won’t be walking away from me on its own anymore. 

Besides, he was the starting goalie for much of his college career.  That jersey can deflect anything.  Knowing what kind of day I’m going to have (multiple meetings and freshly back after taking Friday off to travel), I’ll need all the deflection powers I can muster.