Wednesday, October 7, 2015

IT'S AN OLD-SCHOOL SUCK

Well, I'm back in my old school again.  I guess Steely Dan was wrong (And I'm never going back to my old school).  This isn't just any old school; this is the school where I lived through freshman year and, decades later, completed my student teaching and a long-term sub gig.

I'm back, ironically enough, for a class that will be once a week for about four months.  Ah, four long months of memories.

What a suck.

You want to know why it sucks?  It sucks because the school is a dump.  A living, breathing, mold-infested, smelly, cringe-worthy dump.

Oh, sure, they updated the girls' bathroom so it almost looks modern-ish in a 1970's way.  They even installed new security doors around the building so you can only walk in the front doors without being stopped.  Safety first, right?  But, the rooms are still dinky and full of old wood that has years of mildew crawling all over it, and the stench -- The stench alone could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon.

The class that I'm taking is being held in an area the size of most living rooms.  It claims to be a science room, but I suspect it used to be a supply closet.  Thirty or so adults are stuffed into small chairs around awkward geometrically shaped tables, most of us trying to crane our neck to watch a Powerpoint that is predominantly blocked by the presenter and her rolling cart of technology.

I'll be honest with you: The town where I live, the town where this old school is located, is going to be ponying up another several million dollars to put that school down very soon.  It's like one gimundo Petri dish of disgust.  Okay, to be fair, someone did randomly plop a medium-sized rubber tree in the back hallway, which totally fascinated my classmate, and the teacher of my class looks quite a bit like Rocky Dennis, which totally fascinated me.

All in all, it is going to be a long few months of trudging through Bacteriaville for probably the last time(s).  Nostalgia lost its flavor the minute I stuck my head into one of my old classrooms only to be assaulted by the mold.  Perhaps it wasn't the mold at all -- Perhaps it is the stink of my own doubt that this class I'm taking is going to be remotely beneficial.

Either way, this sucks.  This royally and magnificently sucks.