Thursday, October 29, 2015

DECADES DAY

We are still in the midst of Theme Week/Red Ribbon Week at school.  Today's theme: Put drugs in the past and dress as your favorite decade. I don't really have a favorite decade unless it's my personal favorite, which would probably be my twenties.  Of course, those days are far into the rear view mirror and this isn't about me, so I settle for whatever is in my closet.  I have tie-dye shirts and big sparkly Elton-John-type sunglasses, but I'm not really sure that's flashy enough.

My coworkers are besting me no matter what.  My neighbor in room 111 is wearing a wig and a red flapper dress.  She is so totally '20s.  Another coworker is wearing 80s spandex in neon brights.  I am completely trashed by my former teammate (now grade 6 -- traitor!) who dresses up superbly as Punky Brewster.

I go with something more sedate.  I decide to be mid-70s ... just past the Indian muslin shirt and embroidery phase but not quite out of the purple cotton print phase.  I grab a maxi-length sun dress, complete with the elastic band bust line, layer it over a purple shirt, and add in my army-green lace-up high-heeled Granny boots over tall socks.  I let the hair air-dry today, frizzing it up as much as I can as it goes -- not big like the 80s, though; I never could make that hair happen.  (We call that Methuen Hair because the Methuen girls used up enough hair spray to pollute entire continents.) I intend to add a wooden and silver beaded choker to the look, but I opt for giant gold hoop earrings, instead.  I figure I'm as good to go as I'll ever be.

My youngest teeters down the stairs to start his morning pre-work routine.  Half asleep, he looks at me wide-eyed.  "Jesuschrist," he gasps, "WHAT are you WEARING?"

I smile.  "It's Decades Day.  Do I look 70s enough?"

He frowns.  "Yeah, you look like you're about to take acid."

Excellent!  I guess I really have reached back to the 70s.  I give him a quick double-thumbs-up, grab my car keys and stuff myself and my giant maxi dress into the front seat of my small vehicle.  It's going to be a good day, and, if I avoid getting in an accident and having to go to the ER like this, it'll be a great day.