Tuesday, August 26, 2014

PASS THE PASSPORT



Finally. 

I’ve applied for a passport.  I will no longer be trapped inside the borders of my own country.  Slightly ironic since anyone can get in, but actual citizens can’t get out. 

But I digress.

I’ve never gone anywhere far, far away.  I’ve been to Canada half a dozen times, but I have yet to go any further west than Toronto. 

Shocking to some people, I’ve never even been in an airplane, at least not one that left the ground.  Oh, I have thousands of excuses beyond my control, and they’re all valid in my mind, anyway. 

First of all, I don’t like heights, so anything higher than a ladder is going to make me nervous.  Secondly, I don’t know who’s flying the plane; maybe it’s some novice or maybe it’s some dumbass who misses the airport by 150 miles.  I don’t know who’s servicing the plane’s mechanical system.  Worst of all, I cannot tolerate being shut inside a tin can, mostly because I hate enclosed spaces, but also because I’ll be stuck inside with people.  That’s right: People.  People who get air sick, people with screaming babies, people who want to talk to me when all I want to be is left alone.  In turn, these poor clueless people will be stuck with the likes of me.

I am a control freak, and soon, in four to six weeks, I will be a control freak with a passport.  I’m not sure if this reality will tempt me to actually get the hell out of Dodge, but at least now the possibilities are endless.

Finally.