Friday, August 8, 2014

MORE TIME THAN GOD



Summer is too short.

Oh, I know I have more unpaid time off than God, according to some people, but let me tell you how I've spent my summer "off."

1.  I spent six hours redoing the mess the professional movers left behind when relocating my middle school classroom to the old high school. I need to spend at least 20 more hours in there, but the school is off-limits while the janitorial staff work their incredible magic.

2.  I wasted time moving other people's stuff out of my classroom and perusing the other rooms for my stuff, including the computer with the sticker that boasts my name and new room number, 103.  I found it in 131.  By the way, some of my stuff is STILL missing.

3.  Because I suspected some of my stuff might go missing, I brought home one entire file cabinet's worth of files.

4.  I have gotten through exactly 1-foot of the 6-foot high pile.

5.  I have three mornings of classes for something the government tells me I need to have on my license, and it will only cost me $185 every time I attempt to pass the test.

6.  Fielding dueling emails between the administration, colleagues, and parents is more than a steady part-time job.

7.  I haven't read a single one of those two dozen young adult novels I brought home that absolutely had to be read by September … ten years ago.

There's more.  It seems the list is endless, what with the materials I need and prep I have already started for September.  It may still be three-plus weeks away, but I should start having the "back-to-school" nightmares any second.  Maybe even tonight.

Worst of all, I still have not cleaned out my basement, scanned the family pictures for my newly-discovered cousins on both my mother's and father's sides, located a new dentist because mine suddenly went MIA three weeks ago with all the files, nor have I applied for the PLUS loan to cover my son's college costs for the new school year.

I did, however, order more furniture that I will probably let sit in boxes for two years before assembling any of it, if I play my cards just right.  And I have been to the beach about five times, so woohoo.

If I could just extend summer break a few more weeks, I might get some of this stuff done.  In the meantime, be jealous because I "have more time off than God."  When I figure out exactly how that feels, I'll let you know.