Thursday, August 28, 2014

DEATH AND WAL-MART



Good gawd, I’m going to die of old age waiting in this line. 

Today my son and I are on a scavenger hunt for storage bins that he can use at college.  This is his senior year, so durability isn’t a real concern, but price is.  No sense in investing big bucks in something that only needs to last for nine months, so we end up at Wal-Mart in Salem, NH.

After picking out three plastic bins and a bath mat (green, so it looks like grass from the lacrosse field), we go stand in one of the shortest lines.  Right here and now, we should realize something is wrong.  Why is this line shorter than the others?

It doesn’t take long for the answer to become obvious: The cashier is a chatter.  She chats with people after touching every single item.  This is awesome for people like us, whose items consist of three large bins, a bath mat, and some assorted toiletries.  But the people two carriages in front of us are also doing their grocery shopping, and they have yogurt.  Lots and lots of yogurt, all in little individual containers. 

Rather than ringing in the yogurts as a bulk item (you know, scan one item and key in “times twelve”), the cashier stops to talk as she touches each … and … every … single … yogurt … container.  And it’s not just the yogurts.  She pauses after each item, scanning, chatting, then slowly putting the items into bags.  She repeats this same process probably forty times while we are all bored and chomping at the bit trying desperately to move the line forward.

By the time she gets to our stuff, we put the small items first and push the bins forward.  Any time the belt stops so she can chit-chat, we push the items forward so she has to keep scanning lest the items scan themselves. 

We make it out of the line about twenty minutes after we stepped into the shortest line in the store with the world’s slowest cashier.  As we pass by the next few register, a woman on a cell phone swings her carriage right into my path.  My son balks and throws some words her way.  I make a huge gesture with my hand and start yelling, “Whoa, whoa, WHOA!”  Then loudly enough for her to hear out of the ear that doesn’t have her phone stuck to it, but quietly enough that she must assume I am not truly talking to her, I say, “She should get the hell off her cell phone.”

In the end, I don’t die of old age while waiting in line, but I do come close to dying from a perforated spleen when I am damn-near attacked by the moronic woman’s carriage at the check-out.  Let this be a lesson to me – Apparently, Wal-Mart is hazardous to my health.