Friday, August 29, 2014

A TALL TALE, MAYBE EVEN GRANDE, OF STARBUCKS COFFEE



I don’t get it. 
Do you get it? 
Who gets it? 
I know I don’t. 
I don’t get it.
What is the attraction to Starbucks?
            Tall, Grande, Venti, Trenta,
                        And Short, if you’re smart enough to ask,
                                    Maybe save yourself a zillion bucks
                                                On over-priced miniscule cups of coffee.
I ask the server to explain to me
            Something about their products.
                        I’m not a coffee drinker, and
                                    I’m a novice at ordering Starbucks,
                                                So she’d better try and sell me something.
(I know that she should be explaining
            Starbucks products and tempting me with
                        Tales of how good their coffee, tea, et al, all taste.
                                    I know she should be giving me the hard sale with soft chatter
                                                Because I used to sell coffee at rival Dunkin Donuts.)
Instead, my companion and I are treated like idiots.
            “We don’t have peppermint NOW!”
                        Spoken in a petulant, unhelpful, chastising, superior tone,
                                    Then she stands there like a brain-robbed automaton
                                                And dismisses us like the plague of locusts we must be.
We finally order some shit
            (If we are treated like shit
By a piece of shit,
we must be in Shit Country)
                                                And are stunned by the science of it all.
Volume.
            It’s all about volume.
                        Clearly, Tall and Grande are within milliliters of each other.
                                    Finally, a server with a smile and a brain
                                                Comes over to offer us samples of something pumkin-y.
This … this I clearly would’ve ordered,
Maybe even Venti,
Had that first bitch
                                    Bothered to explain that
                                                “We have pumpkin NOW!”
We line up the cups we have:
            Grande, Tall, and sample size
                        And decide that soon, very soon,
                                    The sample size will probably be the secret Short
                                                While the tall shrinks, and so on.
Truth be told, the Passion Fruit Iced Tea?
            It isn’t anything to get passionate about.
                        It’s about as exciting as Kool-Aid.
                                    Really, really, REALLY expensive Kool-Aid.
                                                “We have imitation Kool-Aid NOW!” shouts the server.
And I don’t get it.
            Maybe you get it.
                        Perhaps you mainline coffee.
                                    I know I don’t mainline coffee.
                                                I … just … don’t … get … it.