Wednesday, August 6, 2014

BRAIN QUESTS



Recently my sister and I have occasion to be in the car together for hours.  We are on our way back from Pennsylvania, and she will be dropping me off in Massachusetts before going on to Maine.

We fiddle with the GPS/navigational system, play the license plate game, hum the same tune over and over again until it becomes an earworm …  We've been together now for forty-eight hours, and we're both starting to fade from lack of sleep and sheer boredom with the traffic patterns in Connecticut. 

I decide it's time for trivia.

I have strategically packed into my "front-seat travel bag" the trivia game Brain Quest, and it's the fifth grade level.  Hopefully we are smarter than fifth graders.  Believe it or not, some of these questions are truly difficult, but mostly they have ridiculously easy answers.

Tonight I attend trivia with my daughter and her husband, and my youngest son, and a smattering of their younger friends.  There are several questions during tonight's trivia session that sound familiar.  I wrack my brains trying to figure out where I've heard them before, when --

-- Of course!  Car Trivia! 

We are a relatively intelligent group: Last week our team took home first place.  This week we end up being third.  Not bad for an eclectic gathering of various ages and life experiences.

Thank you, Brain Quest for fifth graders, and thank you for a long car ride home from Pennsylvania.  You made me look like an academic this evening.  Brava.