Thursday, August 14, 2014

BITE (WING) ME!



I am spending the morning desperately seeking a new dentist.

I have been thinking about this in the back of my mind because my dentist hasn’t been able to keep an associate for over a year, and even his staff, both his long-time hygienist and loyal receptionist, jumped ship in the last year or two. 

My youngest has needed a tooth filled since January.  The dentist wanted him to use some RX mouthwash and come back in February, which was impossible because of his college schedule and his team practice and game schedule.  I insisted that the dentist fill the tooth right then and there, but the dentist was just as insistent that we wait. 

Back my son came in early July to have the exam, the cleaning, the x-rays, and the newly scheduled appointment to have that same tooth filled.  The day before the appointment for the filling, the office mysteriously closed and cancelled all upcoming appointments.  The first word was that the dentist had landed in the hospital.  That was also the last word. 

My cleaning appointment came and went, with no response from the office at all.  This same routine, the message on the answering machine claiming the office was temporarily closed, played continuously and monotonously for over a month.

My son is now two weeks away from returning to college, and there’s no way that tooth is going for another few months.  I am also quite tired of the unprofessionalism at the dentist’s office.  I can’t get a call back, I can’t get any explanation, and I can’t get our records.  

I decide to call the insurance company who sends me on an Internet scavenger hunt.  Eventually, I call a new office because it is close to my house and because they have three dentists.  Three!  So if one goes MIA, there will be at least one more to pick up the slack. 

I ask the receptionist if they are accepting new patients.  Thankfully, the answer is yes.  Then, I tell her my sad saga.  Can they, is there any way, might they please, would they be so kind as to … maybe … um … fit my son in for a dental exam and a filling … in … the … next … two … weeks?

I’m going to be honest – It has been a long time since I felt like this big of an asshole.

The receptionist is so kind and so patient and, mostly, she is incredibly sympathetic.  She talks to the doctor, explains our dilemma, then calls back and says, “Bring your son in Monday at 11:30.  We’re happy to see him.”

With no records?  With no idea what tooth is at issue?  Even though my insurance won’t pay for the exam and I will have to?  You’d do that?  For us?

Wow. 

I don’t think I’ve been so excited about the dentist ever before in my lifetime.  I am the girl who as a toddler knocked out my front teeth in a legendary ballet-vs.-coffee-table accident.   At an early age, I bit the dentist’s thumb with such force and persistence that I wouldn’t let go until the hygienist got my mother to come into the exam room.  I am the one who as a teenager got over-gassed with nitrous-oxide during a procedure, passed out, and woke up gasping for breath because the gas was flowing at too high a rate and nobody noticed.  Posts fall out, wisdom teeth need to be cut from the bones of my jaw because they grow sideways, and old fillings have gone bad.  I’ve had some minor jaw surgeries and some extensive ones where teeth and roots are concerned.  I need a dentist whose only response to tooth repair is NOT the word “implant” and I need the records to back up my valiant battle to keep my own teeth.

Yet here is my happy face, smiling because I get to tell this tale, too, and show off my frighteningly crazy jaw bone to another unsuspecting group of dental professionals.  Plus, my son’s tooth will, with any luck at all, be filled before he returns to school in two weeks.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. 

I’m not sure what happened to my other dentist.  His Facebook page keeps posting daily dental messages and his website is still up, though neither has received a single hit except for mine. 

I checked the obits, and he’s not dead yet. 

I guess I’ll write a formal letter and have my son write a formal letter requesting that our records go to the new place.  It can be added to the growing pile of mail that is probably filling up the dental office floor just inside their door with the mail slot.

Oh well.  I guess all that’s left is for me to wave the old guy goodbye, smile broadly, and calmly instruct him to “Bite (wing) me.”