Friday, August 22, 2014

COPY THAT



I have been taking a three-day class with a teacher at my new school.  It's not "new" per dictionary definition; it's "new" to me because our school has moved into the recently vacated old high school.  I am somewhat unfamiliar with the school's set up, but I took a tour last spring, so I know where most important things are.
The other day, Day #1 of this class, the teacher (facilitator) announced that she had to make some copies.  I am, at least I was at the time, pretty sure I knew where the copy room is located, but I asked her, "Oh, where is the copy machine? I'm going to need to make some copies on Thursday." 
She showed me the hallway and door and told me how to get to the machine, then she went to make her copies.  This copy room is located in the same place we were told when we toured the building in June, so her directions didn't really come as a surprise to me, but I'm still getting the lay of the land.  It's like asking someone how you get somewhere that you're reasonably sure you can find, but you just want that extra reassurance, anyway.
This all brings me to today.
I arrive early today to make a few copies for the new school year before my class starts at 9:00 a.m.  I assume that the copy machine in the location I know, where I was told and where the teacher/facilitator showed me two days ago, is THE copy room. 
I make 100 copies on pink paper (I guess it should be obvious that I'm not where I might want to be since no other paper is there except a case of pink).  At this point, an older woman with blond hair pops her head into the room and says, "Oh." 
I reply, "Good Morning." 
She starts to walk away then comes back and asks, "Are you from the middle school?"  How quaint, I think innocently. She's trying to greet the newbies in the school.
I consider saying, "No, I'm some random person who wandered in from the street thinking I could make free copies" (because sometimes I can be a wiseacre), but I smile and say, "Yes, I am."  So proud of myself; so cheery and friendly to this woman who clearly has not aged as well as I have.
She disappears without another word.
Shortly, a second woman, also older but with brown hair, comes across the hall from one of the random offices still hovering inside my new building.  This woman, clearly annoyed with my presence, says very curtly, "You can't use this machine.  You don't have permission.  This is the ONLY high school copier, and this belongs to the HIGH SCHOOL. It's the only one we have.  We only have one, so please don't use it."
I apologize about five times because by now I realize that Gretel (blondie) has clearly slunk back under the rock from whence she came and sent her goon Brunhilda to finish me off. Two nasty old women without class, manners, or balls. 
Now I feel like an idiot (and a felon).  Dumbfounded, I ask, "Which machine am I supposed to be using?"
"I don't know.  Go ask the secretary in the office."  My office.  The middle school office.  My school.
I venture into the office, still before my class but very close now to its scheduled start time, but the principal is in there, too, and I don't want to make myself look like more of an idiot, so I figure I'll let it go. I leave the office but turn around and come back in to ask the secretary on the sly which machine I'm supposed to be using.  She also tells me the same one the teacher/facilitator has shown me.
Suddenly, the principal wanders back into the main office area.  She hears part of our conversation.  I have to fess up that I used the wrong machine and have gotten myself into trouble for it.
Maybe the high school should put a sign on the machine asking us not to use it until it's moved to their building.  Perhaps, the first woman should have explained to me why she was asking from which school I came and maybe told me there was an issue in the first place. 
I am, in Boston terms, wicked wicked wicked sorry if my faux pas causes an issue.  The office secretary of my school is incredibly accommodating and allows me to make the few copies I need.  I will not be making any more until after school starts, until I'm certain all high school busybody rats have been exterminated from the middle school halls.